Reply To: Housing Element already awarded for temp accom

Mike Hughes

Problem usually arises from claimants being advised by different parties to claim different things in all innocence. Social worker says HB. Tenancy support say HE. Claimant has no clue so does both. I’ve had a case where the claimant did this on advice and then used the rest of their UC to pay the rent on top such can be the low level of claimant understanding.

As per the above though, HB have no choice but to pay. Client should ask UC to stop the HE. Overpayment will follow but there’s a strong case to be advocated for zero recovery in most such circumstances.