Reply To: UC migration move “in borough”

Peter Barker

CoL has a lot of Council tenants outside its boundaries, I would guess this such a case. Council tenants receive HB from their landlord authority as a rent rebate. If she is no longer a CoL tenant at the new address, HB is a rent allowance administered by the LA for the area in which the dwelling is situated. That requires a new claim if the claimant isn’t already on HB from that authority. Sounds as if you have got this correct: both dwellings are in Southwark but CoL has no jurisdiction over non-LA tenants outside its area, so she needs to make a new claim to you, which of course she cannot do.