Reply To: Transgender child and bedroom allowance

garethbannister
Participant

“I think using the term ‘gender’ muddies the waters on what is a straightforward matter of biology.”??

Yes. The term “gender” is often used to refer the characteristics/behaviours/activities/expectations, of women, men, girls and boys, that are socially constructed. Biological sex is obviously separate from this. Male and female cannot be tied to or defined by any particular set of behaviours. Unless you think they can?

From the WHO: ‘Gender interacts with but is different from sex, which refers to the different biological and physiological characteristics of females, males and intersex persons, such as chromosomes, hormones and reproductive organs’

https://www.who.int/health-topics/gender#tab=tab_1

The phrase “opposite sex” is a reference to sex. The LHA rules are based on sex.

I said nothing about sexuality. I said the matter of a person’s biological sex is straightforward. Children may feel awkward sharing with each other for many reasons. Why would regarding themselves as non-binary (or any gender related identity?) be especially relevant to the sharing of a room with someone of the same biological sex?

This discussion started with a question over the application of the LHA rate in the context of ‘The 14 year old is currently transitioning (we have no further details of exactly what that means) to being a boy’. That’s all we know about the situation.

Laws may change in future but not necessarily in line with your, or indeed my, political beliefs. This is a complex and often contentious issue, which is by no means settled.