Reply To: HRA TA & SSSC

Peter Barker

The bedroom tax does not apply to temporary accommodation as defined in Reg A13(4), which refers to:

– accommodation with meals provided (owned, leased or licensed)
– accommodation in a “hotel, guest house, lodging house or similar establishment” (owned, leased or licensed)
– leased accommodation. In England only, the lease must not exceed 10 years and the property must be non-HRA
– licensed accommodation of any type

If you are using HRA properties and you are in England, that rules out the third option above. If it is self-contained accommodation with no meals provided, that rules out 1 and 2. And it seems pretty unliley that licensed accommodation would sit in the HRA.

Therefore the bedroom tax probably will apply.