Reply To: Pensioner on UC

Peter Barker

And he’s definitely single? And not been recently widowed following death of working age partner?

If so, there are absolutely no circumstances in which he could possibly be entitled to UC. It needs to stop and be replaced by HB (if he is renting) and possibly Pension Credit asap.

There is no reason why he cannot receive the maximum three months’ backdating because he is not entitled to UC, it’s a mistake that they are still paying him. I’d advise him not to spend the arrears all at once in case he needs it to repay the UC overpayment. He might well have a claim for compensation from DWP for any arrears of HB and SPC he has missed out on before the maximum three months’ backdate.