Reply To: can Sheltered accommodation be Supported Exempt Accommodation?

Peter Barker

Are these registered housing association tenants, Council tenants or both?

For Council tenants, it is definitely UC. This is because local housing authorities can only provide two categories of “specified accommodation”: DV refuges and hostels. 55+ sheltered housing is neither of those.

For registered HA tenants it is less clear cut, because a non-profit registered HA is capable of providing specified accommodation. However, an alarm and a small amount of human touch housing management will probably not quite be enough to get over the line as “more than minimal” support in most cases.