Reply To: DHP for rent on second home due to repair

flaxen34
Participant

I would be reluctant to pay a DHP on an empty property under these circumstances. Landlords have insurance to cover such losses due to repairs.

However, the DHP scheme does allow Benefit of two homes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/discretionary-housing-payments-guidance-manual/discretionary-housing-payments-guidance-manual

Can DHPs be awarded to people who have two homes?
28. The regulations allow for a DHP to be awarded in respect of two homes when someone is treated as temporarily absent from their main home. This includes those who have fled their main home because they are a victim of domestic abuse. Further information can be found in the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 (S.I. 2006/213) or Universal Credit Regulations 2013 (S.I. 2013/376) for the time restrictions on these provisions.

29. In such cases of temporary absence, if the claimant is treated as liable for rent on both properties and, in both cases, there is a shortfall, it is possible to award a DHP in respect of both properties subject to the weekly or monthly limit on each property.

I would have a read of those regs and make your decision. Depends on how long the repairs will take, to whether its affordable within the scheme and why the landlord is not claiming through his insurance. Has she sought any Housing Advice? bit odd that she has agreed to move out and pay rent elsewhere, whilst accepting to pay rent for a second property.

Hope this helps you draw a decision.