Reply To: A18 2005 & A8 2006 Council Tenant Change of Address

Darren Broughton
Participant

Your first scenario is correct. Since there is no immediate liability at the new address then you have to cancel from the Sunday following the move and the claim at the new address becomes a “new claim”. I queried this with the DWP (Christine Watkins) who confirmed my understanding was correct – see below

[i:7c7a48591d][b:7c7a48591d]Q[/b:7c7a48591d]
Christine,

Could you please confirm if my understanding of the following is correct –

Existing claimant moves on a Wednesday to an new property. Liability at the old address continues to the Sunday, but liability at the new address doesn’t start until the Monday following the move (this is quite common when an LA tenant moves property – the Council allow them to move in a few days before actual liability starts)

My understanding is that since there is no immediate liability at the new address, then we can’t treat this as a Change in Circumstances and must end the claim at the old address from the Sunday following the move. The claim at the new address should then be treated as a new claim and can only be paid from the Monday that liability starts (providing the claimant satisfies the conditions for a new claim to start from the liability start date).

Is this correct?

[b:7c7a48591d]A[/b:7c7a48591d]

Darren,

Thanks for the message. Your understanding is spot on.

Regards

Christine[/i:7c7a48591d]