Reply To: Should we have referred this to the Rent Officer or not?


The accommodation could fit the definition of a hostel.
Is care and support also provided?
Is it the intention that when these individuals move on the accommodation will be let to new residents with similar needs?

If so then I would say it was a hostel and therefore a representative referral is required. As exempt accommodation you then have to decide how much to pay above any rent restriction.

We had a similar situation where a property had been purchased for 2 individuals. However as it had been purchased specifically for the 2 individuals (there was no intention to move them on or rent out to others) and the accommodation was self-contained we treated it as a normal private claim and obtained individual rent officer decisions. It was still exempt accommodation and we pay the whole rent above the rent officer decision.