Council tax benefit / discount appeal

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    James S
    Participant

Hello

just preparing a submission to the VTS, first one for many many years. Firstly does the submission need to be as detailed as the HB submission for the same customer? i submitted 300 pages to HMCTS for the HB appeal for the customer and basically trying to streamline as much as possible.
    Secondly i have been asked for the CTB regulations that the Council are seeking recovery of the ”overpayment ” and the same for the discount. Does anyone have a link to the appropriate literature? also do i only need to do an overpayment schedule for the CTB , as the discount is a discount and therefore treated differently so to speak?
    Any advice appreciated !
    Thank you

pbirks
    Participant

is there a CTB overpayment? CTB ended i 2013 and we all got our own individual, beautifully crafted reduction schemes.

Reductions are overpaid – ther are removed r reduced which puts the liability back to what it was – the installments are higher becuase thees less time to repay.
    but its not an overpayment

Your scheme is unlikely to say what happens to an overpayment – because they dont exist – you’re more likely to need the change in circs rules – that say if something happens, when it takes effect from.

ie – ctax bill £1200 a year – in April 23, customer on full UC with no earnings tapers – ctax reduction is 100% of the liability . so bill is issued advising nothing to pay….
    IN late September 2023, we are advised customer actually started work, and uc award from on 15 August now includes earnings and UC reduce.
    We add the new earnings and they take effect from Mon 21 August – and income too high to now receive an income based reeduction.
    Theres no overpayment, because theres been nothing paid – we are simply removing a reduction that no longer applies – the amount needed to pay is still based on the £1200 a year liability.

James S
    Participant

Hi Prisca – thanks very much for your reply – we are seeking recovery of CTB paid from April 2011 to March 2013 hence the reason i thought there may be something more concrete to produce for the VTS regarding recovery??

churdle
    Participant

VTS wouldn’t cover CTB up to 31/3/2013, that would be to HMCTS along with HB wouldn’t it?

Amanda JB
    Participant

The VT want their submission in a specific format, see this link here and follow the links Evidence Submission Guidance, there is examples of submissions

https://valuationtribunal.gov.uk/vte-guidance/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.