Decision notices

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    graeme
    Participant

Hi, our temporary accommodation team has asked that we stop sending them HB decision notices as they don’t look at them. Is that allowed at all?

pbirks
    Participant

no! you have a duty to notify customers/landlords of the decisions you are making.
    You will struggle to recover any overpayments if the decision notices havent been sent

churdle
    Participant

I think these cover it.
    reg 90 HBR 2006 – notification is to be made to a person affected.

reg 3(d) & (e) of The Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Decisions and Appeals) Regulations 2001

reg 2(1) HBR 2006 ‘“person affected” – shall be construed in accordance with regulation 3 of the Decisions and Appeals Regulations’

graeme
    Participant

Thanks for the responses. Those regs clearly demonstrate that they’re a person affected and the should be notified of decisions.
    We’re a unitary LA and actually sit next to the credit control function of the TA team. We’ve never had an issue with recovering OPs from them if appropriate, but I wonder if they weren’t issued a decision notice could that damage the ability to recover from the claimant?

Peter Barker
    Keymaster

If these are cases where liability is to the Council, the TA team are not a person affected, it’s a rent rebate!

graeme
    Participant

Ahh, so I think some will be and others won’t. So if the liability is to the council even where it’s non-HRA they don’t need to be notified?

Peter Barker
    Keymaster

No, you don’t need to notify yourself of something you have done yourself. The Council is a single corporate entity. In a HALS case the HA is the person affected when you pay HB to them

graeme
    Participant

Thanks very much Peter.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.