Disabled Couple unable to share bedroom

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarahk76
    Participant

Hi

We have a claimant who is iro PIP enhanced daily living and mobility and has stated that he is unable to share a bedroom with his wife as he has a Catheter fitted and to reduce the risk of the bag being damaged and potentially bursting.

The social Worker has also stated that the claimant has carers in the morning and prefers to sleep in the spare room so as not to wake his wife.

Are these sufficient to award an extra bedroom?

Thanks

Colin Adams
    Participant

The claimant is in receipt of PIPDL so that satisfies one criteria.

The question; due to the disability, is the claimant not reasonably able to share a bedroom with their partner?

I think really the answer is open to interpretation and based on the information which has been provided. Do you think it is reasonable for the claimant and partner to sleep in separate bedrooms?

I personally think based on the information provided it is reasonable so I would allow a bedroom for each; I think based on the information you have, you can certainly justify this decision.

Sarahk76
    Participant

The claimant is in receipt of PIPDL so that satisfies one criteria.

The question; due to the disability, is the claimant not reasonably able to share a bedroom with their partner?

I think really the answer is open to interpretation and based on the information which has been provided. Do you think it is reasonable for the claimant and partner to sleep in separate bedrooms?

I personally think based on the information provided it is reasonable so I would allow a bedroom for each; I think based on the information you have, you can certainly justify this decision.

I was thinking of awarding the extra bedroom but I wasn’t sure if I had enough information on whether a catheter would prevent them sleeping together as I can imagine that others in this situation do sleep together. Nevertheless, I shall award the extra bedroom based on your input.

Thanks Colin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.