Gordon Brown calls for overhaul of benefits system

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Boxall
    Participant

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/21/gordon-brown-urges-overhaul-benefits-system-study-crisis

I might add that one urgent priority is to bring back a national CTB system

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Wilkins Micawber, Ch12 David Copperfield

Mike Hughes
    Participant

A very odd approach to highlight expenditure per pound and to use averages. It immediately suggests the remainder of said pound is being spent on something less essential and completely ignores the fact that we are overwhelmingly seeing households who spend 100% of that pound on essentials and still come nowhere near being able to afford many basic things. Thus the many conversations around the fact that destitution is increasingly common rather than just poverty.

John Boxall
    Participant

Citizens Advice are talking about providing financial advice to people who just cannot balance their income and expenditure, even cut to the most basic essentials they do not have enough to live on.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Mike Hughes
    Participant

Budgeting advice for people with zero disposable income.

A form of magic required for that.

John Boxall
    Participant

Google Nick Hanauer

Mike Hughes
    Participant

We’ve discussed that great Politico article before on here so I know of whom we speak.

Sidebar, but there are no circumstances in which I use anything Google related and I haven’t for more than a decade now despite being told repeatedly how this was not possible. Google search is now acknowledged to be amongst the very worst there is despite the comprehensive nature of its coverage.

The one exception is Maps, which I cannot navigate without in many circumstances. It gets used logged out and my phone otherwise has zero location services on. Yes they are convenient. I have yet to die from a failure to use them.

John Boxall
    Participant

Sextant, AP1938 Sight Reduction Tables, Haversine Tables paper, pencils & a chronometer?

Failing that a decent map

Mike Hughes
    Participant

All useless to me 🙂

More of a sight loss issue. Even though the blue dot in Google Maps is prone to disappear it remains sadly the best means of navigating unfamiliar routes.

John Boxall
    Participant

Mike, sorry to hear that

Mike Hughes
    Participant

Oh don’t be :). Genetic, rare, lifelong, blah, blah, blah.

My only deep-seated resentments about it are having to use Google Maps and an ongoing issue with certain coffee shop staff periodically assuming I’m blind and therefore offering me something smaller than I ordered.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.