In year rent increases due to rising fuel costs

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mickbullock
    Participant

I have a provider (Registered Charity) who have increased the eligible service charge for communal heating from 01/11/22 (normal rent increases are in April).

This seems reasonable and all evidence has been submitted but I haven’t come across this before (mind you, never had fuel costs rise like this before).

I wondered if anybody else had come across this and if so, had they paid it? It may be that other providers will take account of rising fuel costs in the usual rent increase but to me it seems reasonable.

Any responses gratefully received.

thanks Mick

John Boxall
    Participant

I might start by talking to your Housing Advice team and having a look at the relevant Tenancy Agreements.

Possibly also ask the landlords for the legal justification for this.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Wilkins Micawber, Ch12 David Copperfield

peterdelamothe
    Keymaster

Yes it seems reasonable but does the tenancy agreement allow this? I am doubtful unless there are variable service charges. Charges can usually set once a year unless there is specific allowance for in year.

Now I have seen a situation where the provider advised the charges could not be increased in year “except if you are in receipt of Housing Benefit when the Council will just pay”.

Alistair Costelloe
    Participant

If the tenancy agreement doesn’t permit the increase then the tenant isn’t liable to pay it and it therefore isn’t eligible for benefit.

mickbullock
    Participant

thanks for your replies

it’s a license agreement and it does state “these charges are subject to change” and I can’t see anything that prevents them increasing the service charges.

does that change anything?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.