Is this good enough to be an HB claim?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    simonh
    Participant

We’ve been approached by the daughter of an elderly gentlemen about help with his rent arrears, which go back severl years. HB is now in payment, but he has been receiving CTS since Dec 19.
    Looking back he orignally completed a CTS only claim form but did enclose a letter in which he referred to paying site rent. Unfortunatley, no one thought to ask if he needed help with this, and just processed his CTS.

As he mentioned that he had a rent liability I want to treat the CTS claim as a claim for HB as well. I just want to see if anyone thinks this is being overlly generous.

John Boxall
    Participant

No, he clearly indicated that he paid rent so on that basis its a claim. I suggest it might be worth just producing a single HB & CTS form precisely to avoid situations like this

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Wilkins Micawber, Ch12 David Copperfield

John Boxall
    Participant

64(2) of the HB (SPC) regs, and the Working Age regs are to similar effect state

(2) Subject to paragraphs (5A) and (5BD), Every claim shall be in writing and made on a properly completed form approved for the purpose by the relevant authority or in such written form as the relevant authority may accept as sufficient in the circumstances of any particular case or class of cases having regard to the sufficiency of the written information and evidence.

It saves no end of work/worry/arguement!

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

simonh
    Participant

Thanks John. Yes I agree about the claim form. Some places I’ve worked have them combined, some don’t.

simonh
    Participant

Just a follow up to this. The claim is for help with ground rent, so will need referring to the RO. Any ideas how we can get decisions for the last 4 years?

rplace
    Participant

You may want to phone the rent officer in advance and speak to them.

I know we have tried in the past to get RODs for previous years where we missed a HB claim at the time it was made and they have refused to do them. They said they cannot consider them for previous financial years. It wasn’t a case I was dealing with but I believe we (rightly or wrongly) ended up using the current ROD for previous years.

Fingers crossed you get a more useful response.

simonh
    Participant

Yes I know they can be difficult with these. I will have to try and speak nicely to them.

John Boxall
    Participant

Would you have any other RO decisions at the same site you could use?

simonh
    Participant

Probably. I don’t think there is a problem with the amount being charged, just having a RO decision that the auditors will accept if they look at the claim.

Andy Thurman
    Keymaster

The subsidy rules for avoiding cell 101 simply require a referral before 30 April 2024. Somewhat perversely but very helpfully, therefore, the current RO decision you can get will be valid for the whole period that you are paying.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.