LHA JTs common household

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    davidm1984
    Participant

Hello

I have an LHA claim with joint tenants – brother and sister 50% liable each. 4 Bed property.
    Sister also has a dep, currently getting the two room rate.
    Brother has an extra room for ONC – currently getting the two room rate.

I believe they are living as a common household based on new information received. So my question is what should their new LHA room rates be?

I am thinking:
    Sister 3 room rate (1 room for herself, 1 for dep and one for the JT brother)
    Brother 4 bed rate (1 form himself, 1 for sister, 1 for sisters dep, and 1 for his ONC)

Unless the sister would also get the 4 room rate?

Thanks in advance

pbirks
    Participant

they both need 2 bed – so each of them is entitled to the 4 bed rate 2 for themselves and 2 for their joint tenant – th HB is capped at their (50%?) share of the rent, or the 4 bed LHA rate, whichever is lower

( if the brother didnt need a second nbedroom of his own, and was under 35, he’d oly get shared accommodation rate. In this case his age doiesnt matter as he has 2 bed rate due to carer rules)

ie

rent is £800 per week for 4 bed property – HB assumes 50% split so each tenant liable for £400.00 per week

LHA rate for a 4 bed property is £600 per week –
    each of your tenants is charges less than this, so HB is capped at the rent they are charged -£400 HB per week each

Andy Thurman
    Keymaster

“I believe they are living as a common household based on new information received”
    Unless this new info was that they were siblings, I would argue it confirmed what you already knew! (This means a correction back as far as needed to allow further HB.)

I second the advice that the sister also gets (up to) the 4-bed rate.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.