Managed Migration April 2024 onwards

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Debbie Wake
    Participant

Is anyone on the group aware if Neil Couling has contacted Chief Ex. as indicated in his previous letter? He said he would be n touch in the new year with more info regarding caseloads etc.

Amanda JB
    Participant

Another letter received today, he says by early April

Kay_Tade
    Participant

Another letter received today, he says by early April

A “proxy measure” he says! To give HB caseloads reductions for LAs by March 2025. I am intrigued……..

peterdelamothe
    Keymaster

Tough in an election year though to be accurate. Who wants to stop potentially thousands of HB claims at that time? Could be May or October seems to be the thinking. March is next week. So not a surprise that all is so vague. Will Labour want to intervene if they are elected in a few weeks? No idea. They want to make plenty of changes to the UC scheme.

Who remembers all the other letters from Neil Couling and DWP about this? Starting from 2015? You will find some of them on this site

John Boxall
    Participant

I was surprised that the Tax Credit inly cases were the first to go as they are administratively the simplest BUT I gather that the Tax Credit computer system is in a rather ‘interesting’ condition so they need to close that down asap.

That basically means most of the ‘In Work’ HB cases going

Also I wonder if there is any move to bring back a ‘National’ CTB system as the current arrangement has little to recommend it

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Wilkins Micawber, Ch12 David Copperfield

Andy Thurman
    Keymaster

It does make strategic sense from a DWP perspective to go with TC cases first (even more so if their system is broken!!) because JSA(IB) cases are already under their work requirement regime and ESA(IR) cases are the most controversial and are more likely to attract a transitional protection – the 55% earned income taper in UC means most ‘simple’ households will get more than the TC/HB currently received (until sanctions/deductions get applied at least).
    Have to say I am with Peter on this – I’ll only fully believe it if/when it starts!

Kay_Tade
    Participant

Have to say I am with Peter on this – I’ll only fully believe it if/when it starts!

Yup!

peterdelamothe
    Keymaster

Letter from Neil Couling: Dear Colleagues, CONTINUED ROLLOUT OF UNIVERSAL CREDIT FROM MAY 2016 – PLANNING ASSUMPTIONS FOR LOCAL AUTHORITIES AND ADVANCE NOTICE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT ON TUPE FOR LOCAL AUTHORITY HOUSING BENEFIT TEAMS

Amazing this was nearly 8 years ago. Who would have thought there are still no plans to move temporary/exempt to UC or that the hopeless Council Tax Support scheme would still be lumbering on at vast cost. Bonkers duplication with the two schemes costing a fortune.

Who remembers attending an hbinfo conference where moving HB for pension age was discussed. That was 7 years ago now. Since then nothing much has been mentioned at all.

Lots of talk about amending Council Tax. Mainly to increase the amounts that can be raised it seems. Now 30 years plus since it was introduced as a short term “stop gap” following the disaster of the poll tax.

How can a property owner living in a 5 Million £ London property pay less in Council Tax than a tenant in the North on minimum wage renting a one bed flat?

Council tax was introduced into England, Scotland and Wales by the Local Government Finance Act 1992. It came into effect as of 1 April 1993, replacing the community charge or ‘poll tax’.

John Boxall
    Participant

Well Wales seems to be proposing some significant changes to Council Tax

https://www.gov.wales/council-tax-reform

There are calls for Land Value Tax, however Richard Murphy has pointed out that Wealth Taxes can be very difficult to implement and independently produces a similar proposal to the Welsh Government for Council Tax reform

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Wilkins Micawber, Ch12 David Copperfield

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.