Managed Properties LHA or Social rent

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    liffe
    Participant

Hi,

I thought/think I have this right but can someone tell me the answer.
    Specified Accommodation – Managed Property landlord doesn’t provide CSS and no one provides it on their behalf BUT the tenants commission their own care – the rent can be treated the same as a social rent and only referred to the RO if it is too expensive or too large – that’s my understanding but someone else said the HB has to be based on the LHA rates? Doesn’t seem right to me where the landlord is an RP.

thanks

Dawn

Peter Barker
    Keymaster

If the landlord is an RP, the eligible rent is never, ever under any circumstances based on the LHA rate. The default eligible rent in any RP case, whether general needs or exempt or other category of specified or TA, is the full amount less ineligible service charges.

Only things that can go wrong are:
    – benefit cap
    – bedroom tax
    – occasionally RO referral if you are so inclined, and then in a non-exempt case the eligible rent would be the LRR/CRR

liffe
    Participant

thanks Peter, is this the same for a landlord who is a charity and doesn’t provide CSS?

dawn

Peter Barker
    Keymaster

No: only RP’s have full unrestricted rent by default. If it’s a non-RP charity and not providing exempt accommodation, HB is restricted to either the LHA or (depending whether it’s a hostel or meals included) the LRR/CRR.

liffe
    Participant

or I guess if you accept that ‘IHM or EHM’ is being provided by the landlord and is treated as more than minimal CSS you can treat it as an Exempt Property under old Reg 11?

thanks
    dawn

Peter Barker
    Keymaster

There are long and condensed answers to that!

Condensed answer is “Meh .. just about, probably, or maybe … but what about service charges … oh god, life’s too short”

liffe
    Participant

There are long and condensed answers to that!

Condensed answer is “Meh .. just about, probably, or maybe … but what about service charges … oh god, life’s too short”

Peter’s answer suddenly brought light to my day 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.