Pre-settled status , part time work

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #284718

    An 18 year old single full time student (BTEC National) has been placed in LA owned temporary accommodation. She has a part time bar job. Her pre-settled status does not end until 2026. (Malta born)

    The Housing Needs Dept are querying that if she works can she apply for HB?

    Peter Barker

    Not sure whether they are worried about right to reside or means test, so for completeness:

    – if the work is effective and genuine (no reason to think it’s not) she has a right to reside as a worker and is eligible to claim means tested benefits. She might have other more obscure routes to a right of residence involving estranged parents, but if she’s in effective and genuine work herself that’s the more straightforward way to satisfy the test. I’m assuming she is a Maltese (or other EEA) national by the way
    – if she earns enough to float her off HB and pay her housing costs without claiming benefit, well fine: there’s a lot of it about!

    She probably won’t need to wait until 2026 to upgrade to settled status. Pre-settled is always granted for five years, but as soon as the person’s total residence reaches five years they can get settled status.

    Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, BTEC national is A-Level equivalent so no issues with her being a student.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.