State Pension

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Amanda JB
    Participant

I am trying to find out if a state pension (either old or NEW State Pension) would fall under any of these types of payments. I’m assuming c) will if the others do not?

a) Any payment made under the Social Security Administration Act 1992;
    b) Any payment made under the Welfare Reform Act 2012;
    c) Any other benefit, welfare or student support payment made by or on behalf of the government

Amanda JB
    Participant

I’ve found this so think I have answered my own question, regardless as to whether it is the OLD state pension or the NEW state pension it would fall under c)? Old pension is a payment made under the SSCBA and the NEW state pension is a benefit made on behalf of the GOV under the Pensions Act 2014?

State Pension entitlement is based on having paid into the National Insurance scheme for a required number of years. However, use of the word “benefit” for retirement pension (latterly known as State Pension) has always been classified in law from the time of the1946 National Insurance Act, which applied from the inception of the National Insurance scheme. No offence is intended by the use of this term.

Furthermore, the term “contributory benefit”, forms the legislative framework of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992. Section 20 of that Act is entitled “Descriptions of contributory benefits”. Contributory benefits under Part II of that Act are listed, and the sixth is retirement pensions.

In addition, the introduction of the new State Pension from 6 April 2016 is also classified as a “benefit” under Section 1(1) of the Pensions Act 2014.

This word is also used to describe the advantages (benefits) provided through private pension arrangements.

Department for Work and Pensions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.