Student couple

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    nickkeogh
    Participant

Can anyone clarify something for me re a couple where one is a student and one is not.

The couple are in TA and the claimant is the f/t student, the partner is not a student but they have a dependant child. No other factors involved such as disability premium etc. Is it right that the non-student partner has to make the claim for HB? Or is there no entitlement either way – can never work out exactly what’s what with this situation.

DJM
    Participant

If the student is eligible (which with a dependant child, they are) then either member of the couple can make the claim. It’s only if the student is not eligible and the other member of the claim is not a student and eligible in some other way that they have to make the claim.

DJM
    "Genius may have its limits, but stupidity is not thus hampered." Mary Doria Russell, "The Sparrow"

nickkeogh
    Participant

That’s the thing though – the way I read the regs is that the student is only eligible if a lone parent and/or both the clmt AND partner are students with a dependant child. Otherwise why does it specify that a lone parent is eligible when all the reg would have to say is that a dependant is resident in the household. I’m just not sure that they fit the eligible criteria simply by there being a dependant in the household.

pbirks
    Participant

The regs say ft students cant claim , except LONE PARENTS, or a student whose partner is also a ft student and has responsibility for a child(ren)

if a couiple has one FT student and one Non student, it has to be the non student who cklaims
    (Had a coupleonce, UK national was FT student, partner was USA national with no recourse – they couldnt claim)

nickkeogh
    Participant

Thanks Prisca – that’s how I read it as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.