Temporary Absence due to flooding

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    janeb
    Participant

Morning All.

We have been hit with flooding and have customers who have had to move out of their properties because of this. They have been placed in Temporary accommodation with a rental liability. However, the flooded property Landlord is continuing to charge them rent on the original property as the builiding’s insurance does not cover flood damage. Am I right in thinking that we can only pay HB on 1 property? Also can they apply for a DHP for the other property? I am thinking Not?

Many Thanks

John Boxall
    Participant

My initial question might be can the landlord charge rent on a property that is uninhabitable?

If it isn’t insured for flood damage than I suggest that questions might be asked about how likely it is that the claimants would be able to return to it anyway.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery. The blossom is blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day goes down upon the dreary scene, and—and in short you are for ever floored.

Wilkins Micawber, Ch12 David Copperfield

pbirks
    Participant

re DHP – with HB you can’t pay more than the eligible liability – so HB+DHP cant be more than the rent charged.
    if they aren’t eligible for HB on both properties, then your DHP wiggle room is going to be small as y=the ony amount you can pay od the shortfall between hHB and rent charged – noe if they are on UC and in temp accommodation, then thats a passporting benefit so all the rent liability at the temp accomm is covered – theres no Housing element in payment so you cant use that to pay the rent at the “original” property

You may get some where UC housing element continues at original property, and you pay HB at the temp property, but then they prob wouldnt eed a dhpo anyway.

Think landlord is being a bit ???? charging rent of property is uninsured and uninhabitable

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.