Campsite Pitch Fees

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #19773

    I have a claimant who wishes to claim HB for campsite pitch fees, the site is commercial. He will be living in a tent and it would be his sole & main residence, however it’s not caravan or houseboat. I have looked at the regs but it doesn’t really mention this sort of site fee. I would preferably like to turn it down but under which reg? If anybody has any experience in this sort of matter or any
    views, or knows of any legislation regarding this please let me know.

    Many Thanks


    chris harvey

    I don’t think we can pay HB for tent costs including the pitch fees. I think it is covered in the IS Regulations and has to be claimed via IS and not HB.
    HB Reg 8 indicates where a cost is covered by IS it cannot be claimed for in HB.
    Unfortunately I have little knowledge of IS regs and can’t give you a regulation number. Anyone else know the legal source?


    I would agree with Chris that this is most likely a cost that should be met by IS/JSA.

    Although regulation 10 of the HBGR says HB is payable in respect of ‘payments of, or by way of, rent’ (para (1)(a)), which is obviously a pretty broad provision, it also makes specific mention of payments for the site on which a caravan or mobile home stands (para (1)(g)). Common sense (I think) tells me that a tent is not a mobile home in the context of this regulation. Common sense also suggests to me that if the person who drafted the regs went to the trouble of defining site fees for caravans/mobile homes as being eligible for HB, then they would also have included site fees for tents if they had intended them to be eligible.

    In addition, past experience tells me that IS/JSA would most probably be prepared to pick up these costs. At my last authority we had a couple of cases (this is about eighteen months ago) where we discoverd that the BA were paying ground rent for claimants at a caravan site – and we were paying the ground rent as well. The BA were adamant that it was their baby and insisted we had got it wrong until we showed them a copy of reg 10.

    Julian Hobson

    It is paid under IS, and therefore not part of the Hb scheme. The reg is Sched 3 para 17(1)(f) of the IS (General) Regs 1987

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.