Claimant in temporary accommodation but Mother still getting child benefit

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #45396

    We have a claim from a 17 year old who has gone into emergency accommodation following problems at home. The placement is through the YMCA. The mother is still claiming child benefit and wants our claimant to return home. She is not claiming any housing benefit herself.

    The claimant has no income as he is still a dependant. Can we pay housing benefit for the period he is in the temporary accommodation or should that be covered through Social Services or our Housing Section.


    My view – the mother should not be claiming CB if your claimant has genuinly moved out. I think you need to make a decision as to whether the claimant intends this to be a permanent thing – if not it is only a temporary absence so the child is still living with mother and is merely temporarily absent.
    It may well be the case that Social Services will step in but until they do so and assuming the move is a genuine one I can see no reason not to make an award.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.