Couple, one British, one American

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #20704

    I have information that a British National has occupied a property with her American Partner who currently has a 6 month VISA (unknown what type of VISA at present).

    My feelings are they are an adult couple who jointly let the property so should be jointly liable. For 6 months at least this is her sole and main residence so cant see how we could exclude the partner from the liability.

    I have also been informed this morning that Council Tax Recovery Regulations only govern UK citizens so if the account fell into arrears and recovery action commenced they could only ‘chase’ the UK national for payment. Can someone please tell this is not true!!!! If it is true I might change my name by deed-pole by adding a SKI to the end and claiming to be Polish in order to not make any payments of CTAX for the rest of my life as they couldnt chase me!!!!

    If it is the case that they only govern UK nationals can someone please point me in the direction of the regulations as I cant find anything.

    As always any help is greatly appreciated.

    Steve 😀


    Methinks someone is pulling your leg!

    Don’t you have any other people from abroad who own property in your area??

    I would say that some cases are disregarded, foreign language assistants, someon with diplomatic immunity, member of visiting forces.

    Maybe they meant that it wasn’t worth pursuing the non UK national??


    We have loads but this point got highlighted in a particular case I was dealing with and I couldnt beleive what I was being told. Since posting originally I have successfully argued my point!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.