Deciding where a child lives and overpayment

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #37965

    We have a scenario where a child was living with her dad who has full custody and gets child benefit. Daughter is in trouible at school and is staying with mum temporarily who is disputing child benefit and claiming HB as well. If we continue to include daughter on fathers claim, then in say a couple of months child benefit decide to award this to the mother back to March, would we have to take her off her fathers claim from March and create an overpayment? If so how is this classified? Thanks in advance.


    In my opinion, receipt of Child Benefit is not as important as where (and how regularly) the child stays. In my experience, Child Benefit is sometimes received by one parent even though the child lives as part of the other parent’s household.

    If the absence is temporary and there is an intention to return I would assume the parent who has ‘full custody’ should continue to have the child on their claim.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.