Deductions From Incapacity Benefit for Overpayment Recovery (AOB)

  • This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 11 years ago by Anonymous.
Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #39852

    Appologies if this is the wrong place to ask this question but Would anyone be able to advise on the following issue:

    How much of a deduction can be taken as an attachment of benefit from a customer who is receiving Incapacity Benefit Topped up with income support?? I have just had shakey advice re this issue and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it.

    There is only a small proportion of the Incapacity Benefit payment which is classed as Income Support so the advice was that we could take 1/3rd but i’m not convinced due to the presence of Income Support at all.

    I would really appreciate some guidance if anyone has a clue.

    Thank you


    As far as I am aware with regards to Housing Benefit Overpayment recovery there is no set amount as such. You can write to the DWP and ask them to deduct for you but it is up to them if they agree to it and they decide on the recovery amount.
    If the customer has no other deductions being taken from them then generally they seem to deduct at the standard rates you would use if recovering from ongoing entitlement.
    If there are already deductions then they will either say they cannot recover or they will recover but at a reduced rate.

    I have just noticed that you have referred to it as AOB. Recovery of a Housing Benefit overpayment is not the same as AOB for Council Tax or other sundry debtors and there is a completely different request form to be completed. This may be where you are getting conflicting information from.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.