Grandparent of Child In Education

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • #57298

    Good Morning All,

    I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice please?

    We had an EEA claimant (Polish National) with an 8 year old dependant child in education, unfortunately our customer suddenly passed away. Her mother has now come to live with the child as his primary carer, her only income being a Polish pension, would this lady be able to claim Housing Benefits?

    I should add that the child was born in the UK so is therfor a British Citizen – this leads me to believe that Grandmother may not be able to make a claim??

    Thanks In Advance


    It means she's unable to establish a right to reside as the primary carer of her grandchild – see previous thread –

    She may be able to establish a right to reside via some other means but it's not possible to say without a more detailed knowledge of her circumstances.




    Just being born in the UK does'nt mean the child is British, could make all the difference if the late mother was a worker.


    The child would usually be a Polish national in this scenario unless one of the parents is British, or the child acquired citizenship. If the child has at some point been the child of a worker then the primary carer is eligible, regardless of who the worker is/was


    Thanks for all your help – I will clearly need to look at the matter further.  🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.