I don’t want benefit anymore ?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #22421
    Julian Hobson
    Participant

    What do others do if someone wants to “withdraw” after a decision has been made on a claim ?

    #7955
    leigh_neville
    Participant

    I’d see if fruad want to look at it (has the wind been put up the Claimant?) but I think that the best thing to do is terminate wef the following Monday, it avoids what is generally a pointless volley of correspondance about the ‘why’ of the situation.

    #7956
    Anonymous
    Guest

    We just terminate the claim Monday following. I guess Julians looking at the fact that there isn’t actually a provision in the regs for such an outright termination but, if the alternative is suspending followed by pointless letters asking “why?”, we’ll stick with the outright termination option!!

    #7957
    Kevin D
    Participant

    Supersede (or revise) on the basis of inference(s) – the inference(s) being based on the clmt’s correspondence.

    Regards

    #7958
    Julian Hobson
    Participant

    Lets assume that there is no dispute between the customer and the LA as what their income, capital, liability etc actually are !

    I’d be worried about drawing an adverse inference where there is no basis to do so (don’t see how the decision can be revised).

    I’d also be worried about simply terminating by contriving a reason.

    Do we simply say sorry but we are going to continue to pay you and can’t stop until you convince us that you are no longer entitled?

    #7959
    Kevin D
    Participant

    On the basis that there is no dispute about the clmt’s circs, then I agree it won’t be possible to draw an inference. I’m also doubtful you could follow the suspend + terminate route (barring a routine intervention – assuming for this scenario that such interventions are lawful).

    For the moment, I’m stumped. Acutually, it may be considerably longer than a moment….. 🙄

    #7960
    markp
    Participant

    Might seem obvious or naive (or both).

    On receipt of statement to withdraw claim could you not suspend claim on the basis that there is some doubt as to whether claimant is entitled to HB, confirm with them that this is right and on receipt (or not) of confirmation terminate it from the suspension date.

    Seems logical to me. Mind you, this is benefits we’re talking about!!

    Do I know what I'm doing? The jury's out on that........................

    #7961
    simon
    Participant

    Given that the claimant is saying they want to withdraw the claim, I assume they are not saying they want it to stop from some specific date due to a change but rather they are saying they never wanted to claim. Therefore couldn’t you say that the original decision was made in ignorance of this fact and terminate the whole claim?

    #7962
    Anonymous
    Guest

    I would strongly be considering a carrot and stick approach.

    The carrot would be to send a Welfare visitor to explain to the person how the scheme works and resolve any stigma/fears/confusion going on.

    If they won`t comply with that then the stick would be to cancel the whole claim back and issue an invoice. After all, we may still be able to apply U/E or indeed re-instate the claim based on what they choose to do next.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.