Paying benefit to a 3rd party

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #39296

    Can we pay Housing Benefits to a 3rd party who lives in Australia.

    They are acting as guarantor for their son and paying the rent to the landlord as the tenant has proven to be unreliable.

    I have suggested paying the landlord direct but the landlord has refused to have payments direct.

    At present we are paying the tenant but he is not passing the money on to his parents.

    I am not sure what to do with this now!. I am reluctant to set up a 3rd party arrangement especially to someone who is outside of the country.

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Kevin D

    Based on the info given, paras 2 and 3 of HBR 94 appear to be open to consideration.

    Notably, both are discretionary provisions so the LA can decide as it sees fit subject to any decision being reasonable.

    Para 2 is about payments to appointees and those with power of attorney etc.

    Para 3 allows payment to be made to any third party but is subject to an express requirement that the CLAIMANT makes a written request. There is no restriction on the geographical location of the third party.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.