Payments to landlords ex partner

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #22780

    We have had a request from a landlord to pay Housing Benefit payments to his ex partner’s bank account.

    He has stated that the Inland Revenue have frozen his bank accounts and therefore he wants the money payed to his ex who he does not live with.

    I would appreciate any comments on this scenario and what action you would take.

    Kevin D

    Before even considering it, I’d ask the L/L for evidence (surely there is correspondence from HMRC?) that his accounts are frozen.

    Also, if you pay to a 3rd party (whoever that may be), the L/L no longer has any responsibility in the event of overpayments (barring out & out fraud) – it will be the third party payee.

    The situation may well be entirely above board, but caution is needed – and the prospective payee needs to be made aware of his / her responsibilities (& rights).


Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.