Query about A3/2011

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sharonwarner
    Participant

I am sure that I am being particularly thick on a Friday afternoon but I am working with one of our carer’s regarding changes detailed in this circular.

She has queried what would happen in this circumstance?

3 young people under 25 who are normally entitled to the SRR. They all move into 1 property and have a room for a carer that they share.

The circular says that in most cases, there would be a 1 bed entitlement due to SDP but in this case, let’s say that there is no 1 bed qualification.

Would these claimants get the 2 bed rate?

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give me. My brain is all a fuddle!!

sharonwarner
    Participant

Had a thought about this and checked, in this case, none of the claimants are on DLA C but would be looking to make a claim at some point.

This would mean that we would need to satisfy ourselves that overnight care is needed but I am still unclear on whether this means that they skip straight to the 2 bed rate? I think that is the policy intention but wonder if anyone could make me feel better and confirm I am on the right track?

Thank you!

nickkeogh
    Participant

As long as you are satisfied that care is needed and provided then you are right in what you say. I presume you mean A3/2011 by the way – there’s not a lot about carers in A6/2011 😉

sharonwarner
    Participant

Oh Good Lord! Friday was much worse than I thought!

Thank you, amended subject now!

Thank you for your reply!

Andreas
    Participant

My understanding is that if each of the tenants satisfies the definition of a person requiring overnight care and there is a ‘spare’ (bed)room for the carer they should all qualify for the extra room and get the 2-room rate.

I am not sure what would happen if the tenants had different carers and only one spare (bed)room… I guess it would depend on how frequently each carer stayed overnight and whether the room is still considered ‘spare’ if it is also used by another carer.

nickkeogh
    Participant

They all have the same carer don’t they?

Andreas
    Participant

On first reading that is what I thought… but on second reading I wasn’t sure if the carer is shared or the room is shared by different carers.

If one care, all get 2 rooms… not sure what happens if the carers are different as it must depend on frequency/regularity of overnight care and whether room is still considered ‘spare’ if used by different carers at different times.

sharonwarner
    Participant

The care package is still being put in place but my understanding is that a team of carers will provide care for all 3 residents.

Glad to see that they all get 2 rooms though! Was having doubts but then, what’s new in benefits?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.