Recovering HB overpayments from Council Tax account credits

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #39291

    If we have a customer who has an outstanding Housing Benefit overpayment can we recover from a credit on the Council Tax account?

    If we did I assume we would need the tenants agreement?


    Certainly not without the claimant’s permission. Even if you did have permission it may be dubious.
    Previously discussed here:


    The same scenario has cropped up now in 2011.

    Credit on CT account is because we have now posted CTB & it is the customers instalments that now shows it to be in credit.Obviously CTB cannot put the account in credit anyway, without a customer having paid their own monies.

    Before we refund this credit amount can the regulations allow us to recover the overpayment of HB in full, which will still allow a smaller refund, or do we have to still get the customers consent?

    The overpayment guide states that we cant recover HB from CTB, but this isnt the scenario, it is the customer payments we wish to utilise to reduce our HB debt.


    Any credit on a CTAX account will come from payments made by the customer, I don’t see how this is any different to the previous cases. I would definitely seek permission first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.