Which council pays which benefit?

Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
  • #43515

    Bit of a quandary here, any help would be gladly accepted!




    Council A owns property in Council B's borough as part of its housing stock. 

    Council A houses tenants from its waiting list in the property.


    Who pays housing benefit?

    Who pays council tax benefit?


    What legislation covers this?


    Our current thinking is that Council A would pay housing benefit (because they own the property and it is part of their housing stock) and Council B would pay CTB (because the tenants get the services from Council B).  However, I can't find anything that backs this up – either legislation, case law or anecdotal!


    Has anyone come across this situation before?  If so, how did you resolve it?


    You are right. The landlord authority pays a rent rebate, the billing authority awards a CT rebate

    See Sections 134 and 139 of the Administration Act, supported by the definitions in s191.

    But you can arange among yourselves that one LA will handle HB or CTB on behalf of the other.


    Thank you Peter! That will settle the argument!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.